Last Update 1 July 2006
A Jewish settlement was founded in Tluszcz in the early 20th Century, and the Jewish population grew to 1102 in
The community was served by R. Yaakov
until his murder by the Nazis in 1942
The Zionist and Agudat Israel were active between the two world wars, with
Yavne and Beth Jacob schools in operation.
The Nazis took the city on 14 September 1939
, setting up a Judenrat
and instituting a regime of forced labour. Many fled east in the
winter of 1939/40
leaving about 740 Jews , including refuges in the town.
Crowded into a ghetto from September 1940
the Jewish population
suffered from starvation and a typhoid epidemic, throughout that winter.
On 27 May 1942
600 Jews were led towards
after 70 were shot in the town. About half of the deportees
were murdered along the way and the rest were sent to the
© ARC 2006